Barbara and Audrey Cox
In 1943, twin sisters Barbara and Audrey Cox (28.09.1921) joined the WLA after working as a trade clerks for a motor business. Edwina, their other sister, was also in the WLA.
Barbara worked on Stanford Park Farm in Twyford, while Audrey worked on Water Farm.
From Barbara’s scrapbook, we know that she and her sister looked after lambs, milked cows, hoed, carted wood and much more.
In March 1945, Barbara received a distinction in her Milking and Diary Work proficiency test.
In the same year, she also participated in a farm book-keeping course, before becoming a forewoman in Burbush Hostel, Burley in the New Forest until 1948. Barbara left the WLA in March 1949.
Barbara’s scrapbook, kindly shared by her great-niece, Sarah, reveals her memories of life in the WLA.