The British Women’s Land Army was first set up in January 1917 for the World War One.
It was re-formed in June 1939, in preparation for World War Two. Over 200,000 Land Girls worked in the WLA from June 1939 until November 1950.
Women, known as Land Girls, replaced male farm workers who had gone to war. Coming from all walks of life, Land Girls were critical to increasing the country’s food production.
This website, run by Cherish Watton, explores the history of the Women’s Land Army, using first hand testimony, photos, journals, letters – and much more.
Winner of the inaugural Royal Historical Society
Undergraduate Public History Prize.